A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between Government of India, Government of West Bengal and Industry Partners, viz; Coal India Limited, Rolta Foundation and Webel for setting up of Indian Institute of Information Technology(IIIT), Kalyani under Public Private Partnership (PPP) mode.
Under the guidance of the Mentor Director Professor Partha P. Chakrabarti, Director of Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur and number of industry representatives, the Institute aims to excel in education and research in Information Technology and allied areas.
- The Institute has designed a 4-year B. Tech programme in CSE which will be unique in the sense that the programme will provide a solid foundation in fundamentals of computer science and technology, along with the skill set required for solving complex problems, faced by the industry in 21st Century.
- The students of IIIT, Kalyani will get an opportunity to study in-depth a number of applications of IT in industries, business, and service sector which will help them in the job market.
- With the NASSCOM Head of Eastern Region, FICCI & CII associated with this IIIT, the Institute will try to provide internship to the students in the major industries of the country. The Industry Partners are from Coal India Limited, Rolta Foundation & JSW Steel Limited. The IIIT, Kalyani looks forward to receive enormous support and help from the major industries of India.
- The 4-year B. Tech will provide ample scope to the students in getting internship so that they can work directly on industry related problems in the area of information technology.
- The Institute is located temporarily in Webel IT Park at Kalyani. However, the Government of West Bengal has allotted 50 acres of prime land in the Kalyani Township for setting up the Institute. Construction work will start soon.
- The Institute will try to arrange accommodation for the outstation students to the maximum possible extent. However, accommodation is not guaranteed for all the students.
- The Institute is backed by young dynamic PhD faculty members coming out of national institutes of India. IIIT will provide excellent educational opportunity to the students.
- Locational Advantage IIIT Kalyani is located at an hour drive from the bustling metro-city, Kolkata, which is also hub of immense IT activities with presence of IT Companies such as Wipro, TCS, Cognizant, IBM, Capegemini. It is a calm, peaceful and productive place to study and student-friendly atmosphere all around.
- Strong Industry Interface IIIT Kalyani has a strong, active and growing interface with business and industry, with experts from a range of leading companies and thought leaders of IT Industry delivering regular guest lectures and serving as members of various advisory boards.
- Projects Students are encouraged to take up projects on contemporary topics as a part of their independent study. Arrangements will be made for practical training on live projects in conjunction with leading companies in the industry.
- Interaction with Business Leaders Students will have the opportunity to interact with leading management thinkers, corporate leaders and entrepreneurs, and other high profile personalities from govt. organisations and NGOs at various forums organised by IIIT Kalyani.
- Computing Facilities IIIT Kalyani provides the latest hardware and software infrastructure including high-speed internet connection to cater to all the computing needs of the students and the training requirements of the information technology courses.
IIIT, Kalyani will not only create industry ready IT Graduates to feed the demand of the industry, but it will also act as a catalyst in fostering an innovative entrepreneur-focused ecosystem to ensure that new products, solutions and IP are created in the State taking advantage of the intellectual capital of the State.